AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
- AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) is an academic support system that accelerates student learning and prepares students for success in four-year universities.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes to ensure that they are achieving at the highest level of academic success possible.
- AVID focuses on the most rigorous possible curriculum and aligns with the Common Core Standards.
- AVID offers tutoring, college and career exploration, mentoring and opportunities for leadership development.
- AVID is for students who are serious about succeeding in school and who want to make a productive contribution to society.
Who is an AVID Student?
AVID students are students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process, a number of criteria are considered, including:
- State Test Scores
- Desire and Determination
- First in Family to Attend College
- Historically Underrepresented in 4-year Colleges
- Economically Disadvantaged
- Other Special Circumstances
While all of the criteria are considered for acceptance into the program, no single criteria will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. Students participating in special education, gifted and talented programs, and ELL will be considered for AVID based on the criteria listed above.